Monday, August 22, 2011

Pins! The highlight of my life...

It seems that the things that are not planned, but happen out of spontaneity are revealed to be the most entertaining and resonate more greatly with you. I experienced such a phenomenon today at the Welcoming Barbeque hosted by Rotary International. I was originally not planning on attending, but when I went to have high tea (aren’t I just so sophisticated?) with the Blois family, they invited me to join them. I took this opportunity to practice the “never say no” rule that seems to apply to exchange students, and in the preliminary run it seemed to go well.
 
Those that attended were all shapes and sizes and ethnicities. It was the quintessential example of how diverse and accepting the Rotary Organization truly is. There was not an ounce of prejudice or discrimination in the atmosphere, which doesn’t come by often. In the 21st century, not many people will vocalize their thoughts on another race, but their aura gives them away as narrow-minded. No such people were present at this occasion.
I added an extensive amount of pins to my collection – and betrayed a promise that I had made to myself at the beginning of the summer. I told myself (with a stern voice!) that I wouldn’t add any pins to my blazer until I returned to the United States, because it would make it much easier for me to travel with in on. The temptation was just too great to deny, so I had to put them on. Now I am stuck with a blazer that’s weight will most likely give me a backache, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I had underestimated the effects of pins on an exchange student, and I can’t wait to get many more!
In two hours my host brother (Max) and my host father will be departing Germany to come to the good ol’ United States of America (that is intended to be said with a southern accent). I find it quite sad that my German family has seen more of America than I have… and I am the one that lives in America! They are touring the west coast, and our paths will merge on September 9. So while they have 18 days of pure fun, I have 18 days of stressing out about everything I can find to stress out about. But it also means that I only have 18 days until the greatest thing in my life happens, but also only 18 days to spend with my family. This trip has a lot of blame on its shoulders. It is the reason I am happy, sad, excited, and nervous. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy because I have some of the same pins from Taiwan and Austria on my blazer that I got from the kids who came here that are from there

    ReplyDelete