Sunday, September 11, 2011

Up in the Sky!

Remember a while back when I spoke dramatically about what would happen on my flight to Germany? Well it seems that I haven’t quite yet honed in on my psychic abilities.
The flight itself was good, but it was just the time leading up to it that was horrible. I was full of nerves and excitement and everything said to me brought me to tears. I had already said goodbye to all my friends before I got to the airport, but I had to call Garrett for the last time just to give her a little cry!
On the airport everything went well, and I confirmed my suspicion that crying helps. I was balling on my way to the trains (and not in an attractive way… I know how impossible that sounds) and everyone was attracted to me to help. Maybe there is an inherent desire to help people in the human psyche… along with things like violence (or as my mom would say it – compassion).
While sitting at the gate waiting for my flight to Frankfurt I met a girl that was on her way to Ukraine after spending a few months in Wyoming, USA. She wasn’t a part of Rotary so I doubt she was as classy and awesome as us Rotary students (a total joke for those of you that don’t knowJ) but she seemed very nice from what I spoke to her.
On the plane I accidently sat in the Business Class, and thank goodness I realized that it wasn’t my seat! I them made my way to the Economy class, and realized that it was nothing compared to Business! On the up side, I had a nice person to speak to! I ended up not getting any sleep, but instead spoke with an English teacher. He teaches in Saudi Arabia and I heard some very interesting stories!
I was very nervous when the plane began to descend because then I had to come to the realization that I was actually in Germany and was going to have to cope in a foreign airport alone! It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had expected because everything was both in English and in German, and the signs were big and told me where to go. In no time I got to my gate and was through customs and security. And I really appreciated having to unpack my whole hand luggage for Frankfurt security… not.
It was odd to be surrounded my little to no English, and this was the moment that I actually realized that I was in Germany! It was hot and humid, and I was so surprised because I had been bred to expect cold and wet from Germany. Well… it was wet.
I met another friend on the Munich airport, also a foreigner. I must have a taste for foreigners the way I am going! She was on her way home to Romania after she visited her grandmother in Phoenix for a few months. We didn’t get to sit together, but it gave me chance to eaves drop on the Germans sitting next to me.
While awaiting my second and final flight I was more filled with excitement than with nerves. This all changed when I again realized that I had to meet my new family. I landed in Munich and again followed the masses to my next destination. I made a total fool out of myself when I realized that I couldn’t carry all my luggage alone. Thus, I had to go back to get a cart, and in the process was stumbling and falling over things.
I got through everything smoothly, but was worried when I didn’t see Sabine or Moritz outside waiting for me. Turns out that German traffic is a bitch and they were late. In the meantime I had time to fiddle with the German payphone and call my mom to know that we had arrived safely.
So all in all it was a good trip and I am proud of myself for being able to do it. And even though I hate to admit that my parents were right, it was a lot less stressful than I expected it to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment